TCP Port

Topics: Developer Forum, News & Releases, User Forum
Apr 13, 2007 at 2:23 AM
I use TCP Port type to monitor my FTP Server automatically, but the result is always failed. I try to run manually form Polymon manager, the result is OK. Why? Thank for your attention and it's useful package!
Coordinator
Apr 13, 2007 at 1:19 PM
Keep in mind that when you run a monitor from Manager it is usually run under a different network account as well as from a different dll location as Executive (even if you have Manager and Executive on the same machine, they can still be running under different accounts and from different locations).
There are two possible areas I can think of:
1. Make sure that the service account Executive is running under has the appropriate network rights to the resources you are querying
2. Please check to see where Executive is running from (standard location is Program Files/PolyMon/PolyMon Executive (RC3). In that folder, make sure that you have the TCPPortMonitor.dll present.

Please let me know how this works out for you.

Thanks,
Fred.
Apr 16, 2007 at 4:16 AM
Edited Apr 16, 2007 at 4:18 AM
Polymon executif and manager run on the same machine and they have approriate network rights to FTP Server. TCPPortMonitor.dll present on Program Files/Polymon/Polymon Executif (RC3).

When TCP Port runing form Polymon Manager there is a message in FTP Server :

connected to ip : 192.168.1.11
> sending welcome message.
> 220 ftpserver
> disconnected.

But when runing from Polymon Executif,message ini FTP Server:

connected to ip : 0.0.0.0
> sending welcome message.
> 220 ftpserver
> disconnected.

???

Thanks, dwigung
Coordinator
Apr 17, 2007 at 12:41 PM
Based on what you posted it looks like the IP address for the monitored server is different under Executive than it is under Manager. Manager has an IP address of 192,168.1.11 whilst from Executive it is 0.0.0.0

Just to see if it works, could you please try to use the actual IP address (not the host name) in the monitor definition to see if this resolves the problem. If the monitor is running from the same machine for both Executive and Manager I do not understand why the IP address would get resolved differently, hence why trying with just the straight numeric IP.Thanks,
Fred.
Apr 23, 2007 at 2:28 AM
I am experiencing the same issue for my TCP Port monitors using RC3. The monitor works when started from Manager but when running from Executive they all fail. I am connecting to an SMTP server on port 25.

When running as Manager I can see a connect event in the SMTP Server logs. When running as executive there is no connect event. I have tried changing the service to run under various account privileges all the way up to Administrator.
May 9, 2007 at 4:09 PM
I am also having this problem. I just installed PolyMon recently, so I might be doing something wrong, but none of the TCP Port monitors seem to work for me. I am using RC3, and I have installed the service pack. In PolyMon Manager, I can click the Test tab from the Monitor Definitions, or when I click Run Monitor from the All Monitors Status window, it works fine. When I leave it alone, and let PolyMon Executive run it, it fails every time. I changed the service to log on as an enterprise admin, but it made no difference. I managed to setup Ping Monitors for each of our servers, and those work great.
Coordinator
May 9, 2007 at 9:34 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
May 14, 2007 at 2:01 PM
This issue has hopefully been resolved in this release: TCP Port Monitor - 0.9.0.1 (SP)
Please let me know how this patch works out. If problems persist, please also remember to check the EventLog of the machine running the PolyMon Executive Windows service for any errors logged there.