Help required asap RE: previously closed issue # 14732 "PolyMonExecutive service causes reboot at startup when database is unavailable"

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jan 26, 2010 at 1:26 PM
pblackwe wrote Today at 1:49 PM<abbr></abbr>

Need some urgent help please guys asap.

I've also had this reboot issue whilst 'applying computer settings'. This was happening to the PolyMon server which also housed the SQL database. Luckily I can revert to a working snapshot as its a VM.

However whilst this server was down I was unable to boot 3 other production servers, one of which is a business critical DMS SQL server. This was very very worrying. Luckily I was able to start it via Last Known Good.

I have read all the comments in this discussion. Please can someone let me know how to resolve this issue as it is very concerning to know I am unable to start servers if the PolyMon SQL server is down.

I saw someone mentioned patch #2706 resolves this? How do I actually install this patch and where do I install it? or each server or the PolyMon server etc? (it's a .vb file)

As things stand right now I am close to uninstalling PolyMon as this is a massive flaw and risk which is a shame as until this problem PolyMon was working great. Also I would have thought the impact rating for this issue would be 'High' not 'Low'?

Thank you in advance for your time and help
Paul

Jan 28, 2010 at 4:10 PM

Machines cannot load Windows OS and constantly reboot at the 'applying computer settings' stage. This only happens when the PolyMon SQL server is unavailable.

I have tried replacing the file PolyMonExecutive.exe with the patched file (patch #2706) , but the problem persists.

This is quite a major issue and could potentially be disastrous, resulting in all windows servers not able to load when the PolyMon SQL server is not available.

Need some help with this please folks.

Many thanks
P

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:00 PM

Hi Paul,

I managed to get around this issue in the past by starting the polymon service via script.
I used the autologon (www.sysinternals.com) program to logon a user automatically once the server starts up.
This user has a logon scripts that checks the DB availability (wait and loop if the db is not available) before starting polymon.
Once the service is started, the user can logoff.

It is definitely not a very elegant way of doing things, but it was 'good enough'.

I hope this helps.