"Error loading Current Status" after clicking "All Monitor Status"

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Feb 9, 2007 at 9:55 PM
First, this is a great project. I can't wait until all the kinks are ironed out. I have been testing RC2 now for a couple days. Excellent.

I have found a bug, I think, however. When I click on "All Monitor Status" a window pops up that says "Error loading Current Status. Could not find stored procedure polymonselAllCurrentStatus"

Am I missing something?

BTW, I developed a simple disk free-space monitor which I am testing in my test environment. I'll upload code (it's small) soon - I'm still debugging it. In our production environment, we need to make sure we don't run low on disk space for our SQL servers and a custom monitor for PolyMon seemed to be the right solution! It will give us plenty of warning ahead of time when we need to expand LUNs in our SAN or buy more trays of drives.
Coordinator
Feb 13, 2007 at 12:46 PM
Hi avianwaves,

You are quite right - you are indeed missing some stored procs needed for that screen. I have re-uploaded the install files under the RC 2 release which now includes the missing stored procs. I will be releasing a new RC in a few weeks with some additional enhancements.

Gret to hear that developing a new plug-in went well. You could also have monitored disk space using the PerfMon monitor (that's what I use in my production environment). Also, I am currently writing a WMI module that will allow WMI quries to be used for both monitoring and counter logging.

The last RC 2 release I did was not fully tested starting on a blank system, hence the number of issues with installation - something I will pay more attention to for future releases.

Let me know if you run into any other problems and thanks for the feedback!
Fred.
Feb 13, 2007 at 7:12 PM
I tried using PerfMon, but one of the servers I'm monitoring is a Virtuozzo virtual server and not all perfmon monitors are available -- case in point, virtual disk parameters. In fact, the entire virtual disk service is disabled and won't start if you try to enable it. It's apparently how Virtuozzo abstracts the disk for virtual servers that prevents that. It works very differently than other virtual servers.

Anyway, by using the file system namespace under .Net instead of the virtual disk perfmon system to monitor drive size, it DOES work running under Virtuozzo. :-) Hence, why I wrote it... Well that and it provides a simplified interface when compared to using perfmon. I'm going to upload the code soon. it's very small!

Tim
Coordinator
Feb 14, 2007 at 12:26 AM
Cool - thanks for the explanation and the code.
Do you know if WMI queries work? I am writing a WMI module at the moment and I wonder how useful WMI will be in general... I should have that posted by early next week (work keeps getting in the way :-) )

By the way, did the new SQL scripts solve your problem with the All Monitor Status screen?

Thx,
Fred.
Feb 14, 2007 at 2:39 PM
Hmm. I can't find a way to attach zip files (or any file) to a message post here at CodePlex. How do you want me to get you my DiskMonitor code?

I only know passing WMI, so I'm not a good person to ask on that front. I need to learn it, though -- it's SO powerful.

Yes, the SQL scripts solved the problem! Thanks!

I just thought of a suggestion... PowerShell cmdlet monitors, like the SQL stored procedure monitor. You write a cmdlet to a certain specification and it can be plugged in as a monitor. I think that'd be pretty handy and I know for a fact that NONE of the commercial competitors to your product have anything like that at all.

Also, from developing a monitor, I must say it'd be nice if you had a quick project that could be imported into the solution which calls the monitor you are writing to test if it works and if the editor UI sucks or not. :-)

Thanks for all your hard work. In case you are interested, I have some freeware admin tools of my own at http://www.avianwaves.com/tech/tools
Coordinator
Feb 15, 2007 at 2:28 AM
Edited Feb 15, 2007 at 2:37 AM
I really like your idea for the powershell cmdlet monitor akin to the way it works with sql sp's...
I started reading up on it but it will likely take me a little longer to figure out how to write cmdlet's and how to hook into .net app. But I will definitely look into it - it would be like having a totally "scriptable" monitor without having to resort to integrating vbscript functionality the may many apps do... Of course it will limit the monitoring service to xp, 2003 or Vista... but that's probably not such a big deal anymore anyway. (Plus I see from some other feedback that there may be other issues running polymon on 2000 anyway).

I'm not an admin, but I really liked your rdp tab tool - nice!

Btw, thanks for the disk space monitor. I think you can attach a file to an Issue - you could create a new issue and attach your files there. I will then move them to the releases directory. Alternatively you can contact me via email directly at my gmail account (fbaptiste@<thebigsearchengine>.com)

Thanks!