Need help to convert this code to C#

Topics: Developer Forum, PolyMon 2.x, Project Management Forum
Feb 28, 2015 at 4:26 PM
As a satisfied PolyMon user, I am always looking into improving this code. Unfortunately this project stopped development since 2010.

I looked for another product (open source or otherwise) to replace this one. After extensive search I could not find a simple product like PolyMon. There are many sophisticated monitors but most of them are based on Unix OS and needs serious learning time and installation resources.

I believe that converting this project into C# will bring much improvement and further development to such a good product. I have thought of creating a new project and convert this to C#. There are many translators available but I believe they are not 100% accurate so lots of manual tweaking may be necessary. Also I cannot find myself motivated enough to go into inner details of VB.

I was wondering if there are like minds that can invest some time on this project with me. Maybe we can start it here or in gitlab.
Feb 28, 2015 at 4:46 PM
I think that's a great idea. Like you, I've simply found nothing quite equal to Polymon, especially from the Windows oriented view of things.

I'm glad to help however I can, but I don't know the first thing about C#. Beyond that caveat, let me know how I can assist.

Bob
Coordinator
Feb 28, 2015 at 5:32 PM
I agree. This project is invaluable to me and my company. But, like Bob, I'm a VB developer. I can read and write C#, but I am very slow. Converting this project to C# would basically exclude Bob and I (and other contributors) from being able to help long-term. We may not have been very active for awhile, but I'm sure Bob's time is like my own; very hectic and busy working on projects for our customers that generate us money. It makes it hard to get back to this project and spend a lot of time on it. I have a lot of great ideas to improve this project as well... and I often want to get back to working on it. Maybe Bob and I can get a 'second wind' sometime soon. :-)

Let us know what you are looking for and maybe we can help.
  • Jon
Mar 12, 2015 at 4:08 PM
Thanks for reaching out. I was planning to find somebody who i can work with for converting this to C#. The person needs to be good with VB (with xaml etc.) and then when I convert the code using some tool (or manually) fill in the blanks to make it work as is again.

After that I have some ideas to extend it. One obvious one is allow the status to be monitored remotely or using social network like twitter etc. instead of just email. Also, another fun thing would be to allow simple management of the test modules remotely.