Limitation on the Monitor Name which cannot exceed 50 characters

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Jan 20, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Issue: There is a Limitation on the Monitor Name which cannot exceed 50 characters.This setting is set in "Databases\PolyMon_DB\Tables\dbo.Monitor\Columns\Name (varchar(50), not null)".
We have tried changing the DB setting to varchar(100) and observed no issues with execution of the monitor and storing values in the Database.But when we edit the same monitor in the Monitor settings form it errs out saying "Error saving Monitor definition.Monitor Name cannot exceed 50 characters"

Given that everything is linked by the Monitor ID, I wouldn't expect there to be any problems, but wanted to find out if there are any known problems that I might encounter if the Limit is increased.

Question: I suspect that the Monitor Settings form has a limitation and check of 50 characters for the name field.  Would it be possible to have this changed, so that it reads the settings from a config file, allowing the administrator to redefine the length of the monitor name allowed?

Thanks for your response.

- Kumar

Coordinator
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:45 PM
You probably can change the database to expand on the character limit of the monitor names beyond the current 50 character limit. I do not believe this will cause any functional issues with the system as a whole. However, you are right that you would have to modify the editor form to allow entry/retrieval of more than 50 characters. However, you will run into display problems on the dashboard, etc. More than 50 characters will result in truncated name displays in various areas due to the limited space available on screens to display these long names. In fact the effective limit is probably lower than 50 characters for names to display fully on the various dashboards.
Jan 29, 2009 at 3:29 PM
Thanks for confirming this,thats what we thought also.

--
Long live PolyMon,PolyMon is great tool!