PolyMon Executive stops working

Topics: User Forum
Dec 17, 2008 at 6:38 PM
I've number of cases lately where PolyMon Executive just stops doing it's job. The service is still running and it will work just fine if I restart the service. PolyMon Manager doesn't show any errors. The only way I noticed it was that the last update times in the Dashboard start getting stale.

Does PolyMon log its activity anywhere? Is it possible to find out what it was doing just prior to taking a long smoke break?

Thanks,
Chris
Oct 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I have the same problem, Polymon stops to update the timestamps in the dashboard without any other notification (ie: nothing Windows application log).

If you try to launch a single monitor manually it works and updates the dashboard. I tried all monitors so i'm sure the is not one locking everything.

Restarting Polymon Executive fixes the issue but not in all cases, i'm going to try a reboot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Dec 9, 2012 at 3:26 AM

I've seen a couple scenarios where this occurs:  

1.  It's been too long since the retention scheme job has run and there are several thousand rows of raw monitor results.  I've never tracked down why, but the agent seems to struggle if there are more than about 10 or 15 thousand raw rows.

2.  There is some kind of monitor execution that is hanging:  I do a lot of powershell monitors, and occasionally I'll inadvertantly run a script that will never return a result and found that it will hang the executive every time.  So if there is any monitor that won't finish/return a result, then the agent will hang as soon as it executes that monitor.  The best way I've found to find them is to simply manually run every single monitor, and confirm that they all run OK.  It would be a great enhancement if the agent had some kind of timeout after which it would just abort a running monitor execution.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:03 PM
I'm seeing this behavior as well. I run about 50 powershell monitors, so maybe it is one of those.

I'm contemplating cracking open the source code and figuring out what is going on. If I do so and make any progress, i'll followup here.