Remote Server authentication

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Sep 9, 2008 at 6:05 PM
We have some servers that are hosted at an ISP.
Our firewall is setup to DMZ those servers to our office's external IP so we have full access to them.
I have full admin rights and can do anything I need to do there.

I want to monitor that certain services are running and send an alert if they are not.
I cannot get PolyMon to be able to monitor the services there as it is trying my local authentication to it, which won't work.
How can I get this resolved, to either give permissions to the remote side to allow my local authentication or to provide alternate credentials for PolyMon to use.

Thanks
Sep 9, 2008 at 7:10 PM
We have a web application with at least 8 distinct dependencies, running on three web servers, outside of our network. My solution to a similar problem as you are having was to create my own set of gauges that PolyMon could monitor. In this case the web app was written in classic ASP, so I wrote my own ASP page that tested all of the dependencies, timing each test. I then put the results into XML format and serve them up with a XML style sheet [1], so humans see a pretty version while machines get the raw XML. PolyMon is then able to access this XML file over the network without any special privlages. My XML file parsing needs turned out to be more advanced than PolyMon's XML test could handle, so I wrote a Powershell script to download and parse the XML.

I have another application that came with a SOAP call to make it do a health status check.

My point in this rambling is that I like an application to test it's own dependencies and for Polymon to just look at the gauges; alerting me if something doesn't look right or the guages can not be accessed. I like this model because it is more secure than giving PolyMon administrative rights to a server and it keeps things cleaner when the application keeps track of the details of it's own health.

Are there services running on these servers that could be taken advantage of that could be used as a make shift monitoring agent? Maybe in a way that is more application specific than a normal agent could achieve.

[1] You can see an example style sheet in my Polymon_StatusPage patch: http://www.codeplex.com/polymon/SourceControl/PatchList.aspx

Sep 10, 2008 at 8:25 PM
see this thread it should give you an idea as to how to do this!
http://www.codeplex.com/polymon/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=34785