Feature request. Notify only on x consecutive failures.

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 29, 2008 at 8:05 PM
Edited Jul 29, 2008 at 8:06 PM
Great project, nice architecture, very well thought out. I did not see a place for feature requests so I just made my own.

It would be nice if you could notify only after a preset number of failures.

The ping monitor has this, but there are a lot of other situations where that would be useful.
As an example :
I have a powershell monitor that uses telnet to test a remote smtp server. I don't want to know if it fails 1 time, if it fails 3 times I probably ought to go look though.
I could build this into my script but it seems like the notification rules should be a little more flexible.

And again, I really like the project.
I have not considered writing code for a project like this in quite a while, but yours is very tempting.
Coordinator
Jul 30, 2008 at 8:26 PM
You can do this currently by configuring your monitor notification rules as follows:
  1. Select the "Alert after" radion button
  2. Uncheck the "Every OK/Warning to Failure" checkbox
  3. Check the "and every n consecutive Failure(s) threafter" setting the value for n to whatever number of times the monitor should fail before alerting you.

Hopefully this is what you were looking for.

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:49 PM
Edited Jul 30, 2008 at 11:17 PM

Nice

I swear that second checkbox was unavailable when the first one was unchecked. Did that change in the last update or did I just miss it? Either way that will be a help!

It still doesn't quite cover the whole issue though. Here is what I have been wishing for...
The initial notice is sent after x failures,
Subsequent notices are sent every y failures.
Return to OK status only after z successful checks.

This looks like it would fit very nicely with the other roadmap item "Failure Re-Test"

This really allows you to tune out the false positives, and still be very responsive to an outage.

I hope you find my comments helpful, I have already added some of this functionality for my SMTP monitor and also wrote a new ping monitor. (both in powershell) 

Thanks for the response,
 -G