SNMP with a Cisco Router

Topics: User Forum
Coordinator
Aug 25, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I am currently evaluating your software and I really like what it can do.  I have successfully setup monitoring of services on some of our servers as well as some generic ping tests and WMI disk usage tests.  One thing that I cannot seem to figure out is how to configure an SNMP test.  I tried configuring an SNMP monitor against my desktop (Windows Vista) as a test.  I researched snmp within all of the posts on codeplex that I could, read the help documentation within the project itself, and I can't figure it out.  I don't know a lot about SNMP and MIB's yet.  But from what I gather, I need to load an MIB for my computer or cisco router so that PolyMon knows how to communicate with the devices based on the OID I provide in the monitor rule. 

1. I can't find out what the OID's are for different devices
  2. I can't seem to get an SNMP monitor to work inside PolyMon
  3. I have server room sensor that I want to monitor the temperature and humidity using snmp as well

I want to monitor the bandwidth and cpu usage on my cisco router, desktops, and servers in my network.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?  i would be willing to help with providing information and screenshots for the documentation as I setup tasks to contribute.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 12:09 AM

You should not need MIBs for PolyMon to work - you only really need the OID, plus you need to make sure you specify the correct public (read) community (basically password - but that's probably simplifying the explanation - SNMP is not my thing either).

Finding the OID's can be a challenge but that's where MIB libraries and a 3rd party MIB browser can come in handy. Either that or a Google search - but that's sometimes quite hard too.

For example, for our APC environmental monitoring unit (EMU), the 1st temperature sensor's OID is: 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.2.1.1.0

In PolyMon you would have to specify the host IP (or name), port (in our case the EMU's port is 161) and the password to access the data. That's all that theoretically is needed.