Manager starting problems after reinstall

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jul 2, 2010 at 12:29 AM

A bit of a frustrating issue.

Installed PolyMon successfully (I thought) by doing database setup on a secondary SQL2K5 server we have, and Executive/Manager install on another (test) 2K3 server.

Started Manager, got through initial configuration (General Settings etc), started the service, added myself as an operator  - all good.

Started to work with the Retention Schedule job and missed reference to inserting my actual SQL server name in script. Thinking I had done something wrong, I found out that setup had no options after the fact so I, uninstalled PolyMon Executive and Manager from the test box, rebooted, and ran a registry cleaner for good measure.

Reinstalled Executive and Manager. Started Manager...  icon apears near clock, then disappears. Looking at processes under Task Manager shows executable starts then unloads.

What the...???

Tried different permutations on install and uninstall, same results.

I REALLY want to get this going, but don't have different hardware to test this on... HELP!!!

Jul 6, 2010 at 7:59 PM

I've seen similar behavior when the Executive Service wasn't started/contactable.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM

This usually happens when Manager can't contact the SQL database. Make sure you have the correct connection string in Manager's config file (in same directory as Manager).

You should also make sure that the credentials you are using can indeed connect to the SQL database. Also make sure your SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections and that any firewalls are letting the sql traffic through. Easiest way to ascertain all this is working is to run SQL Enterprise Manager on the same box as Manager and make sure you can connect to the PolyMon database from that PC using the same credentials you specified in the connection string.

You do not need to uninstall/reinstall Manager/Executive if the retention schedule job needs to be updated (and it does, as mentioned in the installation notes) to point to your specific SQL PolyMon database.

Is the Executive service running? If not, you probably want to also make sure the connection string is correctly configured in its config file as well and that the box running Executive can also talk to the PolyMon database.

Lastly, I have had some minor issues on Windows 7 where the screen to determine the status of the Executive service if the Executive service was running on a different remote machine. Seems like running PolyMon Manager as Administrator sometimes (but not always) solved these issues. In any case, I now run Manager as admin (use the Compatibility tab Priviliege Level setting when you right-click and select Properties on the Manager icon) and that seems to have made things a little smoother.