SNMP Monitor Failure

Topics: User Forum
Jun 19, 2010 at 1:23 AM

I am trying to setup the snmp monitor and it works ok on a Windows XP machine, but I am getting an error when the executive attempts to run it on a windows 2003 server box. The Error is: Status: Fail Status Message: Failed. SNMP Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. I have verified that the SNMP target is valid and is returning data.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM

I would try installing Manager on the same box as Executive and seeing if it runs from there. Most likely there is a comm/permission issue - maybe firewall blocking, or some other security rights. The same code executes in Manager and Executive, so when there is a difference it is usually due to permissions/comm issues.

Mar 16, 2011 at 7:42 AM

I also experienced the same problem with alias_myers,,
I always get an error message
The Error is: Status: Fail Status Messages: Failed. SNMP Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
then what should I do?
whether this OID problem or what?

Mar 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM
I worked around the issue by installing a commandline snmp tool and parsing the results in powershell script that polymon can run.
Mike

Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:43 AM
To: Mike Myers
Subject: Re: SNMP Monitor Failure [polymon:216580]

I also experienced the same problem with alias_myers,,
I always get an error message
The Error is: Status: Fail Status Messages: Failed. SNMP Error: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
then what should I do?
whether this OID problem or what?

Mar 23, 2011 at 10:33 PM

I downloaded snmpget and used this snippet of powershell to parse the result. It has been working fine for the last 6 months.

### Script to check snmp
$a = snmpget -v1 -c public xx.xx.xx.xx OID
$load = $a.substring($a.lastindexof(":") + 1).trim()

$Counters.Add("counter name", $load)
if ($load -gt 75)
    {
    	# It's too high of a load
    	$Status.StatusID = 3
    	$Status.StatusText = "status text" + $load
    }
    else
    {
    		# Load is less then and Ok
    		$Status.StatusID = 1
    		$Status.StatusText = "OK. " + $load