Polymon Executive not checking monitors

Topics: User Forum
Oct 3, 2007 at 5:31 PM
I installed PolyMon for the first time on a Win2k3 server. Database is SQL 2005, on the same computer. I setup about 5 monitors consisting of 3 TCP Port, 1 Ping and 1 URL. They all test successfully, and they all run when I click "Run Monitor Now" from the Monitor application, but they do not seem to be run from the Executive application. Actaully, is seems as if 2 of the TCP port monitors, which are configured to run every cycle (1 minute) run the first cycle after the executive is started, but after that, they never run. I have tried running the service as Local System, as well as a user account, and on 2 different computers, with the same results. I only get 2 rows inserted into the MonitorEvent table after the Executive application starts up, and those correspond to the TCP port monitors configured for every 1 cycle. There are no errors in any of the event logs. When the executive starts up, I get an envent log entry indicating that each monitor was loaded.

Is there anything else I can check for to see why the executive doesn't seem to run the monitors as scheduled?

I'm going to try a couple of other monitor types at different intervals to see if anything changes.
Oct 4, 2007 at 7:40 AM
I had the same problem when installed Polymon Installatian Package ver 1.0.0 with SQL server authentication mode, user=sa, it could be solved when I installed Polymon Database with windows authentication mode. May be it could solve your problem to!

Why ???



Oct 4, 2007 at 2:17 PM
Both times I installed, first on the server with the database, and on a second computer (just polymon executive and monitor, no db install), I used the integrated method. My sql server is not even setup to allow SQL authentication. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to look thru the source and try debugging to see if I can track down the problem.
Oct 6, 2007 at 9:28 PM
I installed Polymon at work, and it works as expected. The difference is that I am used SQL authentication at work (were it works), and integrated authentication at home (where it does not work). I noticed another error in another application indicating that there is a problem with my AD configuration at home, and not a problem with PolyMon. However, some type of diagnostic message in the PolyMon event log could help isolate problems like this in the future. I havn't had a chance to look at the source to see if the executive has issues accessing the database, if it writes to the event log or not. I know if it can't access the DB on startup, the service won't even start, so I know I have some access to the DB via Integrated authentiction, but it eventually stops working.
Coordinator
Oct 12, 2007 at 1:36 PM
The PolyMon Executive service should write any errors to the event log - it has its own event log (PolyMon) for that.
I use integrated security when I am developing PolyMon and my connection string is formatted as follows in the .config files:
<add key="SQLConn" value="Data Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=PolyMon; Integrated Security=SSPI;"/>
You would need to change the Data Source to point to your SQL server and the Initial Catalog property to whatever database name you are using for PolyMon.

The PolyMon Executive windows service will start, event if no succesful database connection can be obtained. At that point, the service keeps attempting to connect to the database. All attempts are logged to the Event Log, so you should be able to see any errors in there.

Thanks,
Fred
Oct 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM
My PolyMon db is called PolyMon, and it's running on the same box as the executive, so our connection strings are the same. I stopped and restarted the polymon service, and here are the events from the event log, all of which look normal.

Service Stopped
Service Starting
SQL connection established OK
PolyMon Executive Initializing...
PolyMon Executive Initialization Complete.
Service Started.

It then waits about 1 minute, which is what the default timer is set to, and then adds an entry indicating it has loaded each of my defined monitors, although only 1 of them is currently enabled. The monitor that is enabled, is checked that one time (approx 1 minute after the service has started), but never again. Now errors in the PolyMon, or other event logs. Service is still listed as running.

I think I may have found the problem. I did not have the SMPT settings setup. After adding in valid information, PolyMon seems to be workin as expected. I did not have any operators defined, but I did have it set to notify after ever 1 event (default). I've re-enabled all of my Monitors, and they are all checking as they should be, so it looks like valid SMTP settings must be in place. Maybe I missed that in the installation instructions (which I probably didn't read) ;)