Suggestion: Remove Ascend components

Topics: Developer Forum, Project Management Forum, User Forum
Sep 19, 2007 at 9:39 AM
Hi!
Let me start by saying that I like this project. Though it has some room left for improvements, I like the general idea of it.

I do, however, have a suggestion: PolyMon will be mainly used by people that have all exciting functiontitles like "sysadmin" and these kind of people tend to work remotely on workstations/servers when they get called out of bed at 4.00 AM. PolyMon uses the Ascend gradients extensively and it sure does create a nicer looking GUI; the downside of this is that it also uses up more bandwidth (causings slow screen updates on remote connections) and looks horrible if (for some reason) the remote desktop uses less than 16 bit colors (and a lot do, though I usually use 16k and upward).

I would like to suggest removing the Ascend components completely and resort to status-icons or plain pictureboxes with an even indication color; it also removes an (in essence) unneeded dependency and so the installer can be more compact and the footprint would be a bit less (though, who cares with the harddrive sizes of today for those insane prices? :-) )

I have some other ideas and suggestions; should I get around to it then I'll post them.
Sep 9, 2011 at 3:22 PM

I created a patch because I got tired of waiting. :-)  This is for PolyMon 1.1.0 and has no Ascend components, so no gradients.  Images and colors are still basically the same otherwise, though.

http://polymon.codeplex.com/SourceControl/list/patches