Monitor NT4 machines

Jul 23, 2007 at 11:34 AM
Hi,
is it expected that CPU and Service monitor fail running against NT4 boxes? Thank you
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2007 at 12:19 PM
Hi,

Yes - that may very well be the case. I'm not entirely sure if NT4 supports WMI and/or various PerfMon counters. You may have better luck trying the WMI monitor and using the included WMI query builder to see what classes are available on NT4 boxes. Same goes for PerfMon, you can use the built-in PerfMon query builder to browse the available counters. It may very well be that the counters I use in the CPU and Service Monitors are not supported under NT4. However, these monitors are really just specialized versions of the WMI and/or PerfMon monitors - so you may have better luck there.

Let me know if this helps or not.
Thanks,
Fred.
Jul 24, 2007 at 1:02 PM
Thank you Fred, using a WMI monitor (I installed WMI for NT4) I can monitor the status for a generic service (like the Server service) with the following query (please correct me if it's wrong or redundant):

SELECT Name FROM Win32_Service WHERE Name = "LanmanServer" AND Started="True" AND State="Running"

which fails if the number of returned instances is less than 1. But how could I query and save related counters on server service status? Thank you
Coordinator
Jul 24, 2007 at 7:22 PM
The WMI monitor actually has two associated WMI queries. The first one can be used for the status (OK/Warn/Fail) of the monitor.
The second WMI query can be used to store counter values. So, your second WMI query would actually return any (numeric) counter in the SELECT clause and these will be stored to the PolyMon database. In theory you could get status and counter information that are not even based on the same objects in WMI.

Thanks,
Fred.
Jul 25, 2007 at 6:57 AM
Fred,
what numeric counters could you use in this case to store service status info?
Coordinator
Jul 25, 2007 at 12:37 PM
What counters/info did you have in mind?

The service status (running/stopped) will be stored as part of the OK/Warn/Fail states - no additional counters would be needed for that (e.g. OK=Running, Fail=Not Running).
Jul 25, 2007 at 8:23 PM
You're right, I don't need anything else... Thank you