Polymon 1.0.0 installation error

Topics: User Forum
Jun 22, 2007 at 11:49 AM
I'm trying to install Polymon 1.0.0 on a W2k3 SP1 Italian with SQL 2005 Express SP2 Italian, Windows PowerShell 1.0 and .Net Framework 3.0.
Installation of Polymon database fails with the following error (showed only on a popup window, not on Event log, so message is truncated and translated from Italian):

Polymon error -2147217913: failed to execute SQL string, error detail: data type conversion from char to datetime generated a datetime type value not included into the allowed values interval., SQL key: DBsetup-Integrated SQL string: delete from LookupEventStatus insert into LookupEventSt

I installed SQL 2005 express selecting the default instance, Network service as service account, integrated Windows authentication, Latin1_general collation settings, adding during setup the current user account to SQL Server administrators role and activating Named Pipes protocol.
I tried also to activate TCP/IP instead of/with Named pipes protocol, restarted services, but with no changes.
I tried to install SQL 2005 Express with mixed mode authentication, but selecting sa user account and password during Polymon database component installation gave the same error. Finally, I tried using SQL collation settings, instead of default Latin1_general. The only option I didn't try was using a named instance for SQL 2005 express installation.
Could the error depend from the localized version of OS and SQL 2005? Or am I missing some SQL 2005 installation setting? . Please, could you explain what are your suggested/supported SQL 2005 Express installation settings for a dedicated Polymon/Sql 2005 Express server?
Thank you.
Coordinator
Jun 22, 2007 at 2:49 PM
Hi,

I thought I had caught all date internationalization issues - apparently not. I do not believe there is anything wrong that you are doing on your end - it's my sql scripts that are causing the problem.

I have uploaded a new version of the installer (Release 1.0.0.0) - please re-download it and try re-installing.

Hopefully you will have better luck this time. If not, please email me and I will send you the sql install script itself which you could run directly against your PolyMon database - I appreciate your feedback and hopefully also your readiness to help me debug this problem.

Thanks,
Fred.
Jun 23, 2007 at 9:18 AM

fbaptiste wrote:
Hi,

I thought I had caught all date internationalization issues - apparently not. I do not believe there is anything wrong that you are doing on your end - it's my sql scripts that are causing the problem.

I have uploaded a new version of the installer (Release 1.0.0.0) - please re-download it and try re-installing.

Hopefully you will have better luck this time. If not, please email me and I will send you the sql install script itself which you could run directly against your PolyMon database - I appreciate your feedback and hopefully also your readiness to help me debug this problem.

Thanks,
Fred.

Hi,

i do test on german System now and i got the same errors as before. The sql Scripts reports an problem with datetime. my sqlexpress is a fresh installation.
so i will go back to english version of sqlexpress
Jun 24, 2007 at 8:40 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2007 at 8:41 PM
@Fred:
I emailed you the full error.
@Blau34:
did the english version of SQL 2005 express solve the problem? I didn't try this.
Thanks
Coordinator
Jun 25, 2007 at 12:33 PM
Hi Blau34,

I sent EF the sql scripts to try out directly against the sql server. If you send me an email I will reply with the script also and I would appreciate it if you could run it against your german version of SQL to try and pinpoint where the remaining errors are occurring - if you are able to run the script and send me back the errors generated by SQL that would definitely help.
Thanks!
Fred.
Jun 26, 2007 at 2:17 PM
Hi,

Trying to install polymon on French Win XP SP2 - SQL Express, the setup wizard returns an unknown error while creating Databases :
Error -2147467259 : failed to create SQL database; PolyMon, error detail : unknown error

So I've downloaded the source and try to create the database manually with the script polymon-23912\PolymonSQL\Create Scripts\DB Version 1.00.sql

I get the error :

Msg 242, Level 16, State 3, Line 195
La conversion d'un type de données CHAR en type DATETIME a donné une valeur hors limite de date et d'heure.

Any idea's welcome

Pierre

Coordinator
Jun 27, 2007 at 12:40 PM
Hello everyone,

EF has been helping out trying to figure out what is going on. The problem is not resolved yet, but we think we have it narrowed down to the last steps of the script that populates the TSDaily, TSWeekly and TSMonthly tables. It seems that somewhere a date string is not being recognized as a valid datetime format (You can download the actual SQL scripts from the source code here:
SQL DB Create Script)

I believe the problem may actually be the implicit cast for @StartDT and @EndDT in the last section of the script even though I am using ODBC type date formats which should be internationalizable (look for the /*Generate TS Lookups*/ section).

If anyone else has the time and inclination to look into it further it would be very much appreciated!
I will post back any further answers EF and I can uncover.

Thanks,
Fred.
Jun 27, 2007 at 8:29 PM
Hi,

I tried installing the release using SQLExpress and get the error: "Error -2147217843: failed to create SQL databse PolyMon, error detail: unknown error"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Indala
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2007 at 12:05 PM
It seems like the following T-SQL line of code is causing an error on non-US locales:

set @EndDT = cast('2020-12-31 00:00:00' as datetime)

As far as I can tell the specified date is a valid ODBC-style date and should not be causing problems.
Could anyone who is using a non-US SQL setup try to run this and see what results they get? EF has been getting consistent errors on that precise line so that seems to be the problem but I just can't figure out what is causing it. Any help or ideas would be appreciated...

Thanks,
Fred.
Jul 4, 2007 at 9:43 PM
Did someone try installing Polymon 1.0.0 using an US version of SQL 2005 express with a non-US Windows OS? Did it solve the SQL script issue? Thanks
Jul 5, 2007 at 9:17 AM
I tried myself: Setup.exe failed installing Db component with the following error: Event ID 10005 - Source MsiInstaller - Description:
Product: PolyMon -- Error 26201. Error -2147467259: failed to create SQL database: PolyMon, error detail: unknown error.

Then, I created an empty Polymon database and imported DB version 1.0.0.sql script: SUCCESS! After that, I ran setup.exe and installed Executive and Manager components: no problems at all.

At last, I will test Polymon functionalities.
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2007 at 2:21 PM
Thanks for all you efforts EF!! - I will still try to figure out what is going on on non English versions of SQL Express for future.
Thanks,
Fred.
Jul 10, 2007 at 1:47 PM
That's OK, Fred: mine it's a minimum contribution to your efforts. Keep developing this great project!
Aug 14, 2007 at 9:21 PM
Hi Folks,
im just about to tryout Polymon - and i got the same error. However i inspected your script and you should insert the line
set dateformat ymd
just before you are setting the dates:

/Generate TS Lookups/
set nocount on

Declare @StartDT datetime
Declare @EndDT datetime
set @StartDT = '2006-01-01 00:00:00'
set @EndDT = '2020-12-31 00:00:00'

so it wil end up in:
/Generate TS Lookups/
set nocount on
set dateformat ymd
Declare @StartDT datetime
Declare @EndDT datetime
set @StartDT = '2006-01-01 00:00:00'
set @EndDT = '2020-12-31 00:00:00'

Greets /Steinlaus
Coordinator
Aug 17, 2007 at 12:21 PM
Hi Steinlaus,

Thanks!! This issue has been bugging me (literally) for a while now - glad to finally see what the issue was.
I will incorporate this into the next release of PolyMon.
Thanks again,
Fred.
Sep 4, 2007 at 9:09 PM
Has this issue been resolved? I'm receiving the same error on a US install of windows 2003 SP2 and SQL Express 2005. I'm running version 8.0.50727.42 of the installer.
Coordinator
Sep 5, 2007 at 11:51 AM
The fix will be incorporated in the next release of PolyMon.
However, since you are installing on a US machine you should not be experiencing the same problem - it seems related to non-US installs only.
You must be having a different problem. Could you provide more information as to what the exact error message is or where you think the script in erroring out?

(To run the SQL install script manually, you should first download the code release of 1.0.0 (on the releases page) and extract the SQL script from there).

Thanks,
Fred.
Sep 5, 2007 at 6:35 PM
Edited Sep 6, 2007 at 12:14 AM
The exact error I'm receiving is:

Error -2147467259: failed to create SQL database; Polymon, error detail: unknown error.

I manually ran the SQL setup script as described above successfully, and tried to just install the Polymon Executive and Polymon Manager. This seemed to work fine, but when I launched the Ploymon manager I would get an unspecified error and it would crash. so I went back and tried to do a complete install (without removing the database first) and received the same error listed above.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Coordinator
Sep 6, 2007 at 12:10 PM
If you have already created the database manually do not select that option during the install process. The installer will not try to "overwrite" an existing database and will exit with an error.
Instead, simply provide the sql server and database information during setup so the installer can create the apropriate connection strings for PolyMon Manager and PolyMon Executive.
If you are installing Manager and Executive on the same machine leave those two options checked in the installer and uncheck the database option.
Hope this helps. If not let me know.
Thanks,
Fred.
Sep 7, 2007 at 10:01 PM
I ended up starting from scratch. Installed a blank SQL 2005 Express Database. Installed Polymon with all options and it failed with error:

Error -2147467259: failed to create SQL database; Polymon, error detail: unknown error.

I then ran the SQL install script manually and ran the Polymon installation selecting only the executive and management components. When I run the Manager it looks like it launches to the system tray and then I receive the error:

PolyMon Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

There is nothing in the event viewer, and I can't find any logs for polymon.

Any help would be appreciated.

Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 12:23 PM
I believe that by default SQL Express is installed as a named version. This means that your database connection string must contain the server name as well as the sql server instance name.
For example, instead of specifying MyServer as the server name, you would have to specify MyServer\SQLName in your connections, e.g. MyServer\SQLExpress
Most likely this is why both the installation and PolyMon Manager/Executive is failing.
Hope this helps.
Oct 12, 2007 at 7:05 PM
I also had the problem for case sensitivity!!!
My database Collation is Latin1CSAI so I had to do a lot of case-sensisitive modification to SPs.