This project is read-only.

SMTP Explodes

Aug 10, 2009 at 9:00 AM

Can some one help me in the right direction here....   (Send Test Email)

There is not much useful info from the stack trace :

---------------------------
Polymon - Email Notifier Error
An error occurred sending email.

System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Failure sending mail. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 10.1.22.129:25

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)

at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.InternalConnect(EndPoint remoteEP)

at System.Net.ServicePoint.ConnectSocketInternal(Boolean connectFailure, Socket s4, Socket s6, Socket& socket, IPAddress& address, ConnectSocketState state, IAsyncResult asyncResult, Int32 timeout, Exception& exception)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Net.ServicePoint.GetConnection(PooledStream PooledStream, Object owner, Boolean async, IPAddress& address, Socket& abortSocket, Socket& abortSocket6, Int32 timeout)

at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, Boolean async, Int32 timeout, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback)

at System.Net.PooledStream.Activate(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback)

at System.Net.ConnectionPool.GetConnection(Object owningObject, GeneralAsyncDelegate asyncCallback, Int32 creationTimeout)

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.GetConnection(String host, Int32 port)

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.GetConnection(String host, Int32 port)

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.GetConnection()

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)

at PolyMon.Notifier.PolyMonMailer.SendMail(String ToAddress, String ToName, String Subject, String Body, Boolean IsHtml)

at PolyMonManager.frmGeneralSettings.btnSendTestMail_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
OK   

Aug 10, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Hi Steve,

From the computer where you are running PolyMon, can you telnet to 10.1.22.129:25? My guess is the answer is no based on the error above "No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it".

You probably need to add your PolyMon computer to the whitelist of the mail server at 10.1.22.129.

-Chris

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:49 PM

No luck I am afraid Chris...

Well here is the dilema...I spin up new VM appliances all the time (linux boxes generally) and never touch the whitelist. They work just fine with the same settings..

I have looked at known working settings on one of my VM and used them in the PolyMon Manager.. no luck..

My Test:  smtp_send from my windows box (the same box as PolyMon manager) - Success.

Conclusion: The problem is with PolyMon

Aug 11, 2009 at 2:01 AM

Try running the PolyMon Executive service as your user account. What happens then?

-Chris

Aug 13, 2009 at 3:22 AM

Hi Chris,

It was my fault, I had screwed things up. Its working great ! Many thanks. Great app.

Thanks for your help...

Rgds

s