This project is read-only.

Executive Service won't start

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Jun 30, 2015 at 9:48 AM
Hi there, could anyone help me out with this?

I've followed the installation guide, installed the 3 components and configured my first monitor. The manual 'test button' works fine - it runs the monitor which executes a SQL Store Proc and stamps a database table with the time it ran.

This should happen every 2 mins as cycle is set to 120 secs and monitor should trigger every 1 cycle. But nothing happens, presumably as the Executive Service is not running...

If I remote desktop to the Exec Service server and try to manually start it I get a message about it "started then stopped" - how can I force it to keep running so the monitor can be polled every 2 mins like it should?

Thanks for any help offered, I am getting nowhere fast with this one!

SQL Server is 2008R2 x64 Std. (running on Server 2003 OS)
Exec Service is installed on Windows Server 2008R2 x64
Polymon Manager is running on a Win 7 Pro machine

Cheers, Chris
Jun 30, 2015 at 12:17 PM
Typically, the service will stop if it doesn't have access to the database or if the permissions for the service do not have permissions to the database. Check those two items. The reason you can run the test and it works is because the polymon manager is being run 'as you' when you run the test. My assumption is that your credentials have access to the database.

And I don't mean the database you are checking with your monitor, I mean the database that stores and supports your PolyMon installation.
Jun 30, 2015 at 12:58 PM
Thanks for your response Jon - could you walk me through the steps to check these 2 things out please?

Sorry if this is something obvious I should know already...

Cheers
Jul 1, 2015 at 1:28 PM
That's really a long discussion and I don't have enough information to fully help you. But in a nutshell, the 'account' that you are using to run the windows service 'polymon executive' (read as logon as in the windows services control applet) needs access to the polymon database. So, if your login account has access to that database, then you can enter your login credentials in that windows service as the logon credentials. Then, in SQL Server, you would go in and add your account (windows account or domain account) as a user for the polymon database. You might not have to do that step, because you may already have access to the DB.

Alternately, you can edit the PolyMonExecutive.exe.config file on the server that you installed the PolyMon Executive Service on and change the SQLConn key to be a valid SQL login name and password instead of doing what we mentioned above with the windows accounts and services.

But I feel pretty confident that your service is not starting (or staying started), because it fails to connect to the database.