This project is read-only.

Slow Monitoring on Executive Restart

May 29, 2008 at 6:23 PM
It always seemed that monitoring was very slow after I restarted the PolyMon Executive Service.  This time I watched it more carefully and it really is much slower.  I currently have about 450 monitors set to a 1 minute intervals and when Polymon has been running for a while, it takes about 3 minutes to cycle through all of them.  After I restarted the service it took 30 minutes to make it through all of them.  I don't know if this is normal or not, but was somewhat surpising.  After the first time through, it went back to its normal 3 minutes to cycle through.  Does anyone know if this is normal or if there is anything I can do to speed it up?

Thanks
May 29, 2008 at 6:34 PM
How do you monitor how long it takes to go through them?  Do you have a SQL query for that?  I'm interested in examining my installation to see how long it takes (I only have maybe 70 monitors, however).  I can tell you if I'm experiencing the same issue or not.

For what it's worth, I believe PolyMon Executive single-threaded, so if you have one (or more) monitor(s) taking an unusually long time to complete their task, that would be why.
May 29, 2008 at 11:45 PM

I just looked at what time I restart the service and then occasionally run the following query until the first row has a newer EventDT that the time I restarted it.  You can also use a variant on this to see how long it takes to cycle through your monitors by comparing the EventDT for the first and last entry.

select m.Name, mcs.*
from Monitor m
 join MonitorCurrentStatus mcs
 on m.monitorid = mcs.monitorid
where m.IsEnabled = 1 and m.TriggerMod = 1
order by mcs.EventDT

PolyMon is currently single-threaded (version 2 is supposed to be multi-threaded), but my monitors only take a long time when I first start it up, but not after the first time it has cycled through.  I just don't understand why it takes so long the first time.

avianwaves wrote:
How do you monitor how long it takes to go through them?  Do you have a SQL query for that?  I'm interested in examining my installation to see how long it takes (I only have maybe 70 monitors, however).  I can tell you if I'm experiencing the same issue or not.

For what it's worth, I believe PolyMon Executive single-threaded, so if you have one (or more) monitor(s) taking an unusually long time to complete their task, that would be why.