This project is read-only.

Polymon with other databases

Topics: Developer Forum
Oct 21, 2006 at 9:26 PM
Hi,
Why only use Sql Server for Polymon ?
Could you think that it is possible to use another databases like Firebird, MySql or Oracle (with .Net data connector also).
All don't use exclusively Sql Server.
Oct 23, 2006 at 3:01 AM
Hi,

That's a good point. There's no particular reason why PolyMon should need Microsoft's SQL Server engine. However, since there is a free version of it available I did not think it was a huge requirement. At the moment PolyMon only needs a single SQL Server specific stored procedure (the one that actually processes and sends emails).
Of course, this could easily be moved to a "client" side process.
I might consider going to a generic database connector in the future. Of course, I really want to move to SQL 2005 for the XML and .NET extensions as well as some of the recursion features - so next version may actually end up being even more tied to MS SQL.

I guess I will wait a while and see what kind of requests come in. If requests do not need MS SQL 05 then I will definitely make it more generic.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I will definitely add it to my list.

Fred.
Oct 25, 2006 at 4:19 PM
Hi,
I hope that you could implement this in a good time.
If you would I could help because I've a good understand of databases.
But I need to know where is the database configuration in Polymon source.
I usually use Firebird, but I know Oracle also.
I'm not sure but I believe that there is Oracle version free for learning, like Personal Oracle.
You just need to register on the Oracle web site.
I think another people with a good understand for MySql could help you also.
I'm very exciting to use Polymon with Firebird in a next time.
I think that stored procedure could be port with easy.
And if some functions use by procecedure doesn't in Firebird this could be extend with external library (UDF).
Frédéric