This project is read-only.

Remote Performance Counters Question

Topics: Developer Forum, User Forum
Aug 8, 2007 at 2:27 PM
Hi,

I have been trying to use PolyMon to monitor a few machines remotely using Windows Performance Counters.

My question is how do I set up Performance counter permissions for remote monitoring? Whenever I try to access another remote machine I can only get performance counter access when I set myself up as an Administrator on the remote machine. Ideally, I'd be able to do this with any account that has the proper permissions set up, especially if I use this in a domain where IT policy restricts Administrator access to machines.

I have tried adding my user name to the remote PC and giving myself the Group rights for "Profile single process" and "Profile system performance". This doesn't seem to work though. I also checked the registry keys as specified in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300702 and that also should be okay (I should have read access to these keys). I tried this with 2 machines so far and no luck. Both machines are on the same domain. The only thing that works is if I have full Administrator rights.

Technically this is a performance counter question rather than a Polymon question, but I don't really have any IT resources that I can draw on to ask this question, so I thought likely people using / developing this application would know the answer. I hope that someone can help me out.

Thanks very much,

Dave Weiss
Aug 9, 2007 at 4:42 AM
I don't have much knowledge in this area.
This article seems to contain slightly more information than the KB you found. Hopefully this helps...
http://patrolexpress.bmc.com/help/en_US/gal_webhelp/parameters/windows/windows_2000.htm
Aug 9, 2007 at 4:52 PM
Thanks for your post. Actually I don't know what it was but by reading this version of it and checking the variables I noticed that some of my registry keys were not set up right. Notably the CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters AutoShareWks didn't exist and HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurePipeServers\winreg permissions were not set.

After fixing these I had no problems. Hope that helps anyone else who runs into this issue.

-David